Frequently Asked Questions
Clinic consultations help to keep one moving forward through the cyclical nature of the healing process and to provide positive reinforcement, keeping you focused and moving in the direction required to meet your health goals.
The initial visit is 90 minutes, prior to which, the patient completes an extensive Clinic Intake Form. In the consultation the intake form is reviewed and further information is elicited as necessary. We will discuss current health concerns, past medical history, family health, nutrition, exercise habits, lifestyle, how to minimize external stressors, promote emotional well-being and enhance your state of mind.
Allergy tests, heavy metal hair analysis, and saliva hormone panel testing can be ordered to obtain additional information about your unique symptom picture and both monitor and track your progress in reaching your health goals.
- Identify common lifestyle, environmental and nutritional habits which contribute to ill health.
- Acquire the skills and knowledge to improve your health profile
- While focusing primarily on your main health concern, preventative medicine can reduce the risk of future health problems and genetic conditions.
- Herbs can cleanse and detoxify, improve immune system function, enhance digestion, reduce fatigue, improve endurance and balance hormones.
- Herbal medicine can be used safely for chronic conditions and are also strong enough to address acute, immediate illness. In fact, herbs can be used to treat almost any condition you would visit a doctor for.
- Conditions that respond well to herbal remedies include:
- Stress related conditions, lack of energy, anxiety, insomnia, depression, headaches, shingles
- Respiratory problems, asthma, bronchitis, coughs, immune system dis-orders
- Skin complaints: acne, eczema, psoriasis, hives, rashes
- Digestive imbalances: ulcers, diarrhea, heartburn, indigestion, colitis, irritable bowel syndrome
- Menstrual and hormone related issues: menopause symptoms, hot flushes, cramping, infertility, fibroids, endometriosis, PMS, irregular cycles, emotional fluctuations
- Common childhood illnesses
- Adrenal health, post traumatic stress disorder
- Urinary tract infections, water retention, gout, kidney stones
- Cleansing and detoxification, lymphatic support
- Arthritis, inflammation, pain management
- Heart problems, hypertension, circulatory issues, varicose veins
- Immune system support: allergies, sinus infection, candida, viruses and bacterial infection
- Auto immune disorders
- Chronic and acute illness
Clinic consultations help to keep one moving forward through the cyclical nature of the healing process and to provide positive reinforcement, keeping you focused and moving in the direction required to meet your health goals. Follow up visits are 30 minutes and are usually held every 4-6 weeks. In these sessions we will evaluate the progress of treatment, discuss any problems or concerns that have arisen and review the treatment protocols. Periodic follow up visits are important to revise the program as the symptom picture changes.
We accept visa, mastercard, prepayment by etransfer and paypal.
If you are between appointments, I am happy to send medicines by mail, or you can pre-order and pick up the items you require during a follow up visit. For individuals living out of town or for clients who are immobile, you may view and order many products from our online market.
Alchemy & Elixir Health Group is located in convenient Crosstown – the area between Gastown and Downtown Vancouver with easy access via Expo Blvd and Pacific Blvd just off the Cambie Street Bridge.
Our clinic is located on the 5th floor in the historic 102 year old majestic heritage commercial building known as the Duncan Building. The Duncan building is located on the north side of W. Pender Street, kitty-corner to Tinseltown Mall (between Abbott and Beauty Street). If your appointment is in the evening or on weekend, please buzz our access code to be let in.
The office is easily accessible by public transit and within walking distance from the Stadium-Chinatown Station SkyTrain station. For customized public transportation directions to Rogers Arena, please visit TransLink. For individuals driving to our location, there is free 2 hour parking in the underground at Tinseltown Mall (entry on either Abbott or Taylor St), various meter parking and an Easy Park parkade nearby (at 150 W Pender St).
- To believe in your ability to influence the outcome of your health.
- To believe that my recommendations have your best interest at hand.
- To realize that your health is your responsibility.
- To be disciplined and consistent with making the recommended lifestyle changes.
- To have patience to achieve your goals using herbal medicine.
Through utilizing lifestyle assessment and dietary counseling, botanical (plant) medicine, nutritional supplements and Bach Flower Remedies; a personalized health program is created; tailored to your specific health problems and goals. Custom blended herbal tinctures and teas are formulated specifically for your unique symptoms and health picture.
Depending upon the severity of the health concern, generally 4-6 visits are required to monitor the condition, establish lifestyle changes, continue to build on your initial program as your symptom picture changes and make periodic adjustments to the program to minimize the likelihood of recurrence of a disorder. Do not make the mistake of stopping the program too soon –herbs take longer to work than the instant quick fixes that we have become so accustomed too in our society. Although everyone responds differently to a program, a very general rule for a timeline is a month of treatment for every year the condition has been present.
Generally yes, although it is imperative to communicate to both your Medical Herbalist and your Medical Doctor the fact you are using complimentary medicine. As body functioning and symptoms improve, it is important to monitor the use of pharmaceutical drugs, as the strength and dose of the pharmaceutical medication may need to be adjusted by your doctor.
- Herbs can be used as the first choice of dis-ease treatment and herbal medicines consistently have fewer side effects than prescription medication while supporting the bodies’ capacity to heal itself.
- Herbs, when monitored, can be used in conjunction with prescription medication resulting in a lower dosage of medication needed.
- Herbs can reduce the side effects from prescription medicine.
- Herbal medicine can be used to wean the body off potentially addictive medications and can be used as an alternative to many habit-forming medications.
There are several professional governing bodies for herbal medicine although in Canada, there are no provincial laws governing herbal practitioners. The National Institute of Medical Herbalists is one of the oldest most respected bodies of Medical Herbalists, established in 1864 and has worldwide recognition.
Another governing body is the American Herbalists Guild; both organizations have high standards for professional membership and are self-governing bodies. When looking for a herbalist remember to look for the designation of Medical Herbalist, Clinical Herbalist (ClH), Member of the National Institute of Medical Herbalists (MNIMH) or American Herbalists Guild (AHG) after a clinicians name to ensure extensive training in botanicals, therapeutics and medicine.
There are numerous educational facilities offering Bachelor of Science and Master of Science Degree programs in herbal medicine, further expanding the current knowledge and understanding of plant medicine.