How to Use Essential Oils
Massage: First dilute the pure essential oil into a base oil, then pour into the palm of your hand and apply to the body for massage. Use 5-10 drops of pure essential oil to 125 ml of base oil.
Bath: Add 5-7 drops of essential oil dispersed throughout a warm bath for adults or use 2-3 drops for children to ease tension and promote relaxation.
Compress: To relieve aches and muscular pains, add 6 drops of essential oil into 100 ml of water. Dip a folded cloth or flannel into the warm water and apply topically to the skin or area to be treated.
Foot Bath: Add 4-6 drops into a bowl of warm water, stir water to spread oils evenly throughout and use as a foot soak, an excellent way to invigorate tired aching feet.
Inhalation: To clear up congested sinuses and provide relief from sinus pressure. Place 6-10 drops of essential oil is a bowl of boiling water. Take care not to burn yourself. Cover head with a towel and inhale the steam vapors or add 12 drops of essential oil to a handkerchief or tissue and inhale.
Perfume: Add an essential oil or your blend of choice to a base oil and apply to the skin
Light Bulb Ring: Place 2-4 drops of essential oils in a cool light bulb ring and attach to a light bulb. The heat of the light bulb gently releases the aroma into the environment.
Oil Burner: Burners have a lower compartment to hold a candle and an upper basin to fill with water and mix in 4-6 drops of essential oil. As the water is heated by the warmth of the candle and the scent is released into the air.
A great way to disinfect a room during the cold or flu season, or to gently release a tranquil aroma into a room.
Boiling water: In a pot of boiling water on the stove, add in 6-10 drops of essential oil; as the water boils, the steam containing the aroma of the oils will scent the house. Sauna Place 6-10 drops of essential oil on sauna rocks and inhale the steam.
Storage of essential oils
Keep bottles tightly closed. Essential oils are concentrated and flammable; store away from direct heat, open flame and ideally keep cold in the fridge. Keep out of reach from children and pets.
- Essential oils are completely derived from nature; they are also highly concentrated and need to be used mindfully.
- Avoid contact with the eyes and mucous membranes.
- Dilute before using directly on the skin -irritation may occur when used undiluted.
- Essential oils are for external use only. Do not use essential oils internally without specific consultation from a qualified medical practitioner.
- Seek professional guidance prior to using essential oils if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, suffering from high blood pressure, have epilepsy, liver damage, any medical condition or have specific health questions.
- A skin patch test should be conducted prior to using a new essential oil. If you experience any adverse reaction, discontinue immediately and seek professional advice.
- Use extreme caution when using oils with children and give children only the gentlest oils, diluted, at extremely low concentrations. It is safest to consult a qualified medical practitioner before using with children.
To purchase essential oils click here.
~ written by Katolen Yardley, MNIMH, Medical Herbalist
To purchase essential oils visit Alchemy & Elixir Health Group.